These performance level descriptions are intended to help parents, educators, and others understand what children who score at a given performance level on the WKCE are expected to know and be able to do at the time of testing. This information may be useful as one component of program planning and evaluation, but should be interpreted cautiously and in the context of other available information when applied to individual students.
Beginning with the 2012-13 school year, Wisconsin established performance standards (cut scores) comparable to the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) cut scores for the WKCE reading and mathematics content areas in order to better align to the high expectations of the Common Core State Standards. These WKCE performance levels were revised to more closely align with national and international expectations of what is required to be college and career ready. Due to this change in cut scores, comparisons between 2012-13 performance levels and prior years’ performance levels will no longer be appropriate for reading and mathematics. State percentiles and Student Growth Percentile Reports may be used to evaluate student progress over time. Language Arts, Science, and Social Studies performance standards were not revised so comparisons across time are still appropriate for these subject areas.
WKCE Reading and Mathematics Performance Levels:
- Advanced - Students at this level demonstrate a comprehensive and in-depth understanding of rigorous subject matter and provide sophisticated solutions to complex problems.
- Proficient - Students at this level demonstrate a solid understanding of challenging subject matter and solve a wide variety of problems.
- Basic – Students at this level demonstrate partial mastery of prerequisite knowledge and skills that are fundamental for proficient work.
- Minimal Performance – Students at this level demonstrate limited knowledge and skills in the subject matter and limited ability to apply knowledge and skills effectively.
WKCE Science, Language Arts, Writing, and Social Studies Performance Levels:
- Advanced - Demonstrates in-depth understanding of academic knowledge and skills tested on WKCE for that grade level.
- Proficient - Demonstrates competency in the academic knowledge and skills tested on WKCE for that grade level.
- Basic - Demonstrates some academic knowledge and skills tested on WKCE for that grade level.
- Minimal Performance - Demonstrates very limited academic knowledge and skills tested on WKCE for that grade level.
WKCE Proficiency Level Descriptions and Scale Score Ranges for Language Arts, Science, and Social Studies at Grades 4, 8 and 10.
|Grade 4:||Grade 8:||Grade 10:|