Click to Jump to the:
The DAC Newsletter is a communication tool designed by the Office of Educational Accountability (OEA) specifically for District Assessment Coordinators (DACs). Our goal in designing this newsletter is to keep DACs informed on important and relevant information related to assessment and accountability.
Newsletters are produced quarterly during the school year: early fall, late fall, mid winter, and late spring. The contents of each newsletter will provide relevant information and resources for that portion of the school year. While the content will change throughout the school year, the format will remain the same.
DACs will continue to receive emails regarding urgent actions or information. While most of the information contained in the newsletter can be located on our website, the topics have been applied to highlight situations that DACs experience in the school setting.
- Issue XXVIII, November 2013 Topics included in this issue: Successful Administration of the 2013-14 WSAS, Smarter Update, Important Dates, Record Editing System, Online Assessment Technology Readiness Survey, ISES Deadline, ACT Update, ACCESS for ELLs® Update, Alternate ACCESS for ELLs™ Update, ASSETs (Assessment Services Supporting ELLs through Technology Systems) Grant Update, WISEdash Update, PALS Update, NAEP Update, From the Mail Room “Are the Assessment Window Dates Available for the 2014-15 School Year?”, FAQs, Building Assessment Literacy “2014-15 School Year Assessments”.
- Issue XXVII, September 2013 Topics included in this issue: 2013 WSAS Testing Window, Smarter Update, Assessment Windows for 2013-14, Important Assessment Dates, District and School Report Cards, Delivery of Test Materials, Reminder to Update WSLS Data, Remember to Update your DAC Information, New District Assessment Coordinators, Wisconsin Alternate Assessment for Students with Disabilities (WAA-SwD) Update, Dynamic Learning Maps Update, Commercial Testing Company Products and Workshops, ACCESS for ELLs® Update, Warning! Test Taking Strategies that Hinder not Help, Alternate ACCESS for ELLs™ Update, ASSETs (Assessment Services Supporting ELLs through Technology Systems) Grant Update, WISEdash Update, Accountability for the Progress and Attainment of English Language Proficiency (ELP) for 2012-13, PALS Update, NAEP Update, From the OEA Mail Room “Are the Smarter Balanced Practice Tests now Available?”, FAQs, Building Assessment Literacy “How to Explain the Common Core State Standards to Parents and the Community?”
- Issue XXVI, May 2013 Topics included in this issue- Smarter Update, Important Assessment Dates, Smarter Assessment Educator Involvement Opportunities, WSAS Update, Remember to Update your DAC Information, Commercial Testing Company Communications, ACCESS for ELLs® Update, Alternate ACCESS for ELLs™ Update, Dynamic Learning Maps Update, ASSETs (Assessment Services Supporting ELLs through Technology Systems) Grant Update, 2012-13 Accountability Reports, WISEdash Update, NAEP Update, PALS Updates, From the OEA Mail Room “How can I predict my accountability scores for 2012-13?”, FAQs, Building Assessment Literacy “What Changes Will There Be In The Accountability Report Cards This Year?”
- Issue XXV, February 2013 Topics included in this issue- Dissemination of Student Reports, Release Date Update, Important Dates, Smarter Update, ACCESS for ELLs® Update, Alternate ACCESS for ELLs™ Update, Dynamic Learning Maps (DLM) Update, Common Core Standards for Students with Significant Cognitive Disabilities Update, ASSETS (Assessment Services Supporting ELLs through Technology Systems) Grant, WISEdash Update, Communication of Testing Information to Staff, NAEP Update, PALS Update, From the OEA Mail Room “Where can I get information that helps me understand Wisconsin Student Assessment System (WSAS) reports?”, FAQs Test Results and Smarter Pilot Test, Building Assessment Literacy “How to Respond to Concerns About Assessment Results for 2012-13”
- Issue XXIV, November 2012 Topics included in this issue - Successful Administration of the 2012-13 WSAS, ISES Deadline, Record Editing System Window, Important Dates, Smarter Balanced Assessment Update, Smarter Balanced Assessment Pilot Testing, 2011-12 School Report Cards Update, ACCESS for ELL® Update, ASSETS Grant (Assessment Services Supporting ELLs through Technology Systems), NAEP, From the OEA Mail Room “Where can I get instructions for packing my test materials to return to CTB for scoring?”, FAQs Shipping and Packing Test Materials, Building Assessment Literacy “Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium Sample Items and Performance Tasks Now Available”.
- Issue XXIII, September 2012
- Issue XXII, May 2012
- Issue XXI, February 2012
- Issue XX, November 2011
- Issue XIX, September 2011
- Issue XVIII, May 2011
- Issue XVII, February 2011
- Issue XVI, November 2010
- Issue XV, September 2010
- Issue XIV, May 2010
- Issue XIII, February 2010
- Issue XII, November 2009
- Issue X, May 2009
- Issue VIII, November 2008
- Issue VI, May 2008
- Issue V, February 2008
- Issue IV, November 2007
- Issue III, September 2007
- Issue II, May 2007
- Issue I, February 2007
Data Use and Reporting
- How to Explain the Common Core State Standards to Parents and the Community
- Understanding WSAS Results 2012-13
- How to Respond to Concerns About Assessment Results for 2012-13 - This handout helps explain the decline in the number of students considered to be proficient and advanced, and the raised expectations for students beginning with the 2012-13 Test Administration.
- 5 Things Every Teacher Should Know About The New Cut Scores
- Higher Expectations Fact Sheet
- Sample IPR Cover Letter
- Sample IPR Cover Letter (Spanish)
- Sample IPR News Article
- Sample Parent Letter About New IPRs
- Data Retreats with Wisconsin Knowledge and Concepts Examination (WKCE) Online Reports - This handout explains the appropriate time of year and proper procedures when conducting data retreats using Online Reports.
- Reponse to Intervention (RtI) and Assessment Data - This handout give information about the Wisconsin RTI center and the DPI webpage where the RTI using data series presentations are available.
- How assessment data informs Reponse to Intervention (RtI) - This handout explains assessment data informs all three of the RtI elements: high quality instruction, Continuous review of student progress, and collaboration.
- How Use Data for Data-Informed Instruction to Personalize Teaching & Learning - This handout explains how schools can regularly and openly review data as part of their instructional culture and that the continuous review of data leads to increased student success, deep professional learning, and more collaborative educator teams.
- Introducing Student Growth Percentiles - Presents some key ideas about growth models and their use, and introduces student growth percentiles as a model DPI will use for public and secure reports.
- Some Answers to Growth Model Questions - This handout answers some commonly asked questions regarding Growth models.
- What do WKCE scores tell me about a student? - This handout explains WKCE scores and their uses.
- How to Respond to Questions about Assessment Results - This handout useful when trying to explain results to parents.
Test Preparation and Administration Guidelines
- WKCE Proctor Guidelines - This handout describes the role and responsibilities of the Proctor.
- How do I decide which assessment to give a student? - This handout explains how educators should make the decision to either give a student the WKCE or the WAA-SwD.
- Test Preparation Guidelines for the WKCE - This handout provides suggestions for districts, teachers, and parents, to help their students prepare for the WKCE.
- What is an Accommodation vs. a Modification? - This handout was created to clarify for staff and parents the difference between an accommodation and a modification and what is allowable for use on the WKCE.
Understanding an Assessment System and its Components
- Phonological Awareness Literacy Screener (PALS) - Brief overview of the kindergarten screener "PALS"
- Computer Adaptive Testing - This handout explains what computer adaptive testing means.
- Using Formative Assessment in Instruction - This handout explains What a formative assessment is and how to use formative assessments in instruction.
- The Process of Developing a State Assessment - This handout explains the process (in a diagram with a link to more information) of developing a state assessment.
- WKCE Items - Development and Scoring Process - This handout explains each step in the life of an item from development through scoring.
- Balanced Assessment System - This handout explains What a balanced assessment system is and gives examples of the use of assessments in the system.
- Understanding Constructed Response Items on the WKCE - This handout explains how the "long-answer" handwritten items are scored and provides suggestions on helping students be successful with this type of test item.
- ACCESS for ELLs® Data flow process - This handout depicts the data flow process for classifying an English language learner (ELL) in Wisconsin.