The Badger Exam 3-8 is Wisconsin's Smarter Balanced Assessment. In 2010, Wisconsin elected to join the Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium, one of the two national consortia that were formed to help establish a series of “next generation assessments” to measure students’ career and college readiness.
The Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium (Smarter Balanced) is a state-led consortium working to develop next-generation assessments that accurately measure student progress toward college- and career-readiness. Smarter Balanced is one of two multistate consortia awarded funding from the U.S. Department of Education in 2010 to develop an assessment system aligned to the College and Career Ready Standards by the 2014-15 school year.
The components of the Smarter Balanced Assessment include:
The summative assessment will be administered during the last 8 weeks of the school year (measuring students’ cumulative progress from the past school year). Smarter summative assessments are administered in English Language Arts (ELA) and Mathematics for grades 3-8.The summative assessment will consist of two parts: a computer adaptive test, and performance tasks that will be taken on a computer but will not be computer-adaptive. The summative assessment will:
- Accurately describe both student achievement and growth of student learning as part of program evaluation and school, district, and state accountability systems;
- Provide valid, reliable, and fair measures of students’ progress toward, and attainment of, the knowledge and skills required to be college- and career-ready; and
- Capitalize on the strengths of computer-adaptive testing—efficient and precise measurement across the full range of achievement, and quick turnaround of results.
A secure, online reporting system that provides assessment results to students, parents, teachers, and administrators. The reports generated will show student achievement and progress toward mastery of the Common Core State Standards.
Test Operations Management System (TOMS) Training
This training will provide important information that districts need to prepare for the online administration. The training includes information and demonstration of the following topics:
- Loading and updating student demographic information into TOMS
- Accessibility resources and loading appropriate student testing setting into TOMS
- Establishing user accounts in TOMS
- Secure browser installation procedures
- Badger Exam resources and supports
- Key dates and tasks for preparing for the assessment
An email was sent to all DACs and CESAs inviting two staff from each district and a CESA representative to participate in the live webinar during the week of January 12-16. A recorded webinar will be available for all interested staff at a later date and will be posted at http://oea.dpi.wi.gov/assessment/Smarter/trainings.
System Readiness Training:
A webinar was held for two staff from each district a CESA representative during the week of November 3-7. This training includes important information on the following topics for districts to prepare for the online administration. System
- System resources and supports
- Installation procedures
- Key dates and task for preparing for the assessment
- Demonstration of the system capabilities
A recorded webinar is available for all interested staff at http://oea.dpi.wi.gov/assessment/Smarter/trainings.
Handscoring Opportunity for Badger Exam 3-8:
ETS, the testing vendor for Badger Exam 3-8, is recruiting individuals to participate in the hand scoring of students’ responses for the Badger Exam. Scorers / Raters will be trained to apply rubrics for each prompt. This training will involve the use of benchmark sample responses which exemplify the quality required for each score point. This increases inter-rater reliability so every prompt is scored using the same general criteria. Raters will be required to successfully pass the ETS certification exam allowing for independent scoring using ETS’s Online Network for Evaluation system.
Scoring begins in April 2015 and continues until June 5, 2015. click here to apply
Badger Exam 3-8 Calendar/Timeline now available at http://oea.dpi.wi.gov/assessment/Smarter/calendar
Badger Exam Helpdesk