The Blue Ribbon Schools Award honors elementary and secondary schools that are either academically superior or that demonstrate dramatic gains in student achievement. The award is given by the U.S. Department of Education to Wisconsin public schools that are nominated by the State Superintendent and that pass the U.S. Department of Education’s rigorous application process.
Criteria for Nomination
- Wisconsin is allowed to nominate up to eight schools per year for the award.
- The award recognizes schools in two categories:
- Exemplary High Performing Schools. To be eligible, schools must score in the top 15% on state assessments.
- Exemplary Achievement Gap Closing Schools. To be eligible, schools must score in the top 15% on the Closing Gaps Priority Area of the School Report Cards.
- Nominated schools must also meet additional criteria specified on the U.S. Department of Education Blue Ribbon Schools Award website.
Blue Ribbon Schools Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
|Q.||How do Wisconsin schools qualify to become a Blue Ribbon School?|
||Schools are nominated by the State Superintendent based on multiple criteria, including percent of students from disadvantaged backgrounds, demonstrating dramatic improvement or academically superior performance and meeting Annual Measurable Objectives. Additional criteria are specified on the U.S. Department of Education Blue Ribbon Schools Award website.
|Q.||How many Wisconsin schools can receive the award each year?|
||Wisconsin may nominate up to eight schools each year. At least one third of the nominated schools must have at least 40% students from disadvantaged backgrounds.
|Q.||What is the timeline for applications?|
||The State Superintendent nominates eligible schools in winter. Nominated schools submit applications to the U.S. Department of Education in spring. The Secretary of Education announces the Blue Ribbon Schools the following fall. At that time, two representatives from each school, the principal and a teacher, are invited to an awards ceremony in Washington, D.C. where the schools receive a plaque and a flag signifying their Blue Ribbon Schools Award status.
|Q.||How can I make sure that my school is considered for nomination to the Blue Ribbon Schools Award?|
||All Wisconsin public schools are automatically considered for nomination for the award.
For questions about this information, contact Justin Meyer (608) 267-2966